Skip to main content
Skip to Content

Implementing Agricultural Nonpoint Source Components of the Cedar Bayou and Double Bayou Watershed Protection Plan

Project Goals/Objectives: This project will provide agricultural producers in the Cedar Bayou and Double Bayou  watersheds with an opportunity to participate in water quality educational activities and receive technical and financial assistance for the development of Water Quality Management Plans (WQMPs) and implementation of best management practices (BMPs).This project provides funding to support implementation of recommended agricultural management measures identified for action in the WPPs during the first 3 years of the 10- year implementation schedule. To achieve this goal, the Trinity Bay Soil and Water Conservation District #434 will hire one District Technician who will provide technical assistance to agricultural producers in developing and implementing WQMPs and Prescribed Grazing Plans in the Cedar Bayou and Double Bayou Watersheds. WQMPs are developed according to the NRCS Field Office Technical Guide. Once the WQMP is developed, it will be sent to the Wharton Regional office for technical review and certification. Upon certification of the WQMP, the District Technician will work with the landowners to implement the BMPs prescribed in the WQMP.

Project Background:The Cedar Bayou Watershed covers approximately 200 square miles and drains into the Galveston Bay system. The Galveston Bay system is a major economic asset for the City of Houston and the surrounding metropolitan area, as well as being a vital ecological component of the Gulf Coast area. Oyster production, recreational activities, and commercial fishing are significant economic assets of the area. Additionally, the estuaries of Cedar Bayou and surrounding areas are considered a critical wildlife habitat area for migratory birds and other wildlife by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, and a large portion of the watershed is considered an environmentally sensitive area in general. 

The Double Bayou watershed is located on the Upper Texas Gulf Coast and is part of the Galveston Bay watershed. Situated in the eastern portion of the Lower Galveston Bay, it is comprised of two main subwatersheds; East Fork and West Fork, which are also the primary waterways in the watershed. The Double Bayou watershed drains directly into the Trinity Bay system and ultimately into Galveston Bay. The majority (93%) of the watershed lies within Chambers County, Texas. The remaining 7% of the watershed is located in Liberty County, Texas. The Double Bayou watershed drains 98 square miles of predominantly rural and agricultural landscape. However, several residential centers are located in the watershed.

Project Location: Cedar Bayou, Double Bayou and their tributaries in Chambers, Harris and Liberty Counties.

Project Participants:Harris County Soil and Water Conservation District, Lower Trinity Soil and Water Conservation District, United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resource Conservation Service, Houston Advanced Research Center, Cedar Bayou and Double Watershed Steering Committees

Project Costs: Federal ($154,594); Non-Federal ($0); Total ($154,594)

Project Workplan: 16-04

"Protecting and Enhancing Natural Resources since 1939."

Back to top